Junior Infants 27th April – 1st May 2020
Dear Parents and boys,
I hope you are all keeping well and helping out at home 😊 I hope you have all managed to download Microsoft Teams. I have uploaded stories and a bit of Irish on it. If you cannot download it, email email@example.com.
Please see the below list of activities to do at home during the week. Again, remember these are only suggestions and don’t feel under pressure to complete them.
As always, you may contact me at any time by email at firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com or through Microsoft Teams, and I will call all families during the week to see how everyone is doing.
Thinking of you all,
Ms Hurley and Ms Daly
- Reading is very important continue reading with your son every day for at least 10 minutes.
- Class reader – Fun at the Park https://my.cjfallon.ie/preview/student/33000/6
- Play games with your book, look for your tricky words in the story and write out the words you find.
- This is a great free resource that has levelled readers suitable for your son https://connect.collins.co.uk/school/Portal.aspx
- Click teacher log in.
- Enter User name: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Passowrd: Parents20!
- Then click on Collins Big Fat Cat.
- Click on the pink band books.
- You can access free library books at www.oxfordowl.co.uk
- Read some stories to your son and ask him questions based on the story. Get him to retell you the story in his own words.
- Listen to an audible story on https://stories.audible.com/start-listen/ or https://www.booktrust.org.uk/books-and-reading/have-some-fun/storybooks-and-games/.
- Poetry – Recite the rhyme 5 Little Bears, use fingers to count up to 5 (last page of document)
- Watch Jolly Phonics Video sound ‘v’ and practise singing the song with the actions. Please see below link for all Jolly Phonics songs in order click here
- Think of 5 words with the letters ‘v’ (van, Victor, violin, valentine etc )
- Keep revising all letters and sounds. Repetition is very important! Call out words which include these sounds and encourage your son to write them down.
- Below are the sounds learned to date;
- Group1: s,a,t,i,p,n
- Group 2: c,k,e,h,r,m,d
- Group 3: g,o,u,l,f,b
- Group 4: ai, j, oa, ie, ee, or
- Group 5: z, w, ng,v
- Click on the link for sounds like Phonics work book https://slp.cjfallon.ie/ revise a and t this week
- Revise 20-25 (go, no, so, my, one)
- New tricky words: by, like, have, live, give
- Practise writing out and spelling the new tricky words
- Practise putting them into simple sentences. / Dictation sentences: Parent calls out a simple sentence three times and child writes.
- Play a game: ‘Matching Pairs’- Write out another 5 tricky words twice add them to last weeks 10. Mix them up and turn them over, facing the table. Take turns at picking 2 tricky words. Whoever has the most matching pairs is the winner.
- Practise writing words with ‘v’.
- Revise practise forming letters a, t and m,
- Write a daily diary entry and draw a picture
- Revise vertical addition from last week, see can you use toy/ items in your house to make and write your own vertical sums
- Click on the below link to access pages 106, 107 and 108 in Busy at Maths http://my.cjfallon.ie, click ‘Student Resources’, then filter to the class and interactive that you require eg, Junior infants, Maths, Busy at maths and click on the ‘next’ tab to get to pages 106, 107 and 108 .
- Continue practising correct number formation 0 -5 (make sure your son is writing the numbers in the correct formation e.g. 0 is like an o it goes anticlockwise, , 1 straight line down, 2 is clockwise and has a flat base, etc.
- Encourage your son to write the number words: zero, one, two, three, four, five
- Keep practising the days of the week/ months of the year songs click here .
- Extra Activities – https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ has some lovely maths activities. You will find plenty of maths games listed under Whiteboard Resources
- Microsoft Teams, under files, please see
- Bua na Cainte Caithemah Aimsire ceacht 3
Cad atá sa bhosca bréagán?
Tá…….sa bhosca brégán. (carr, rothar, bábóg, liathróid, eitleán, bád, traein, leabhair)
- Bua na Cainte Caithemah Aimsire ceacht 5
Taispeáin dom…..(Carr gorm, rothar gorm, eitleán gorm, bábóg ghorm)
- Rann- Carr Beag Glas
- Encourage your son to watch one cartoon daily in Irish on TG4.
- Cúla4 www.cula4.com
- Practice saying the words carr (car), rothar (bike), babóg (doll), eitleán (plane), buí (yellow), glas (green), gorm (blue), and can you see any of these items, can you make your own bosca bréagán where you are?
- Passing a ball: from hand to hand, through the legs, around the back/neck/waist/knees, over the shoulder to other hand behind the back Throw/catch the ball: underarm, throw and clap before catching, throw and touch a body part before catching.
- Use a soft ball / roll up a pair of sock and see can you throw it into a box/ how far away can you stand and still throw it in the box. Throw it in the air, practice catching with two hands and one hand.
- Hopping – (one leg off the ground) try to …..
- Hop as quietly and as noisily as you can
- Hop 3 times on your left foot and on your right foot
- Hop as quickly as you
- Other Activities
- PE at home with Clare; the link to her Youtube channel may be found here.
- RTE Junior have several 10-minute work outs that the children love to do https://rtejr.rte.ie/10at10/
- www.gonoodle.com for short movement breaks, stretches and dance routines.
- Cosmic kids yoga on You Tube
- The Body Coach on YouTube channel at 9 am.
- Life Cycle of a Frog
- Click on the video link to watch the life cycle of a froghttps://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=life+cycle+of+a+frog+you+tube#id=15&vid=9da264c80943c0ca100939edde0512c9&action=view
- See can you draw 3 different stages of the life cycle of a frog?
SPHE – Stay Safe Programme
- Recap on Secrets and Strangers
- Tell your child it’s okay to say ‘No’ to an adult. Distinguish between good (a surprise) and bad secrets. Learn that they should never keep bad secrets including secrets about touches. Learn that sometimes it’s difficult to tell if there are bribes or threats involved.
- Revise the 5 people that you can trust to tell if you have a secret that makes you feel “unsafe”.
- Discuss the concept of strangers.
- Learn the 2 golden rules of 1. Never go with a stranger 2. Never take anything from a stranger
- Feelings and Emotions
- Children should know and recognise these feelings; HAPPY, SAD, UPSET ,EXCITED, SCARED, ANGRY. Discuss a time with your child that they felt these emotions. Draw a picture of a time they felt happy / something that makes them happy or make a face using grass/ stones/ leaves.
- You can now assess Grow In Love website and resources using the email email@example.com and password growinlove. There are stories, songs and prayers available here. The boys are up as far as Theme 7.
- Discuss The Church with your son and what different features are in our church- The Way of the Cross.
- Infants Prayers: Morning and night time prayer, Oh Angel of God.
Other Suggested Activities
- Help out at home- pair socks, clear the table, bring down the washing, help hang it out etc.
- Baking – and then write out the recipe in steps.
- Lego project: You and your friends decide to build a tree house. Can you build a fabulous creation? Maybe design your tree house on paper first and then get building.
- Go for a walk/ cycle- remember social distancing and stay within 2 km from your home.
- Try write your name with sticks, my niece Erika did this.
Five Little Bears
One little bear
Wondering what to do
Along came another
Then there were two!
Two little bears
Climbing up a tree
Along came another
Then there were three!
Three little bears
Ate an apple core
Along came another
Then there were four!
Four little honey bears
Found honey in a hive
Along came another
Then there were five!